US OR CS 3 INCH PARROTT OR READ SHELL FRAGMENT FROM THE JENNIE WADE MUSEUM COLLECTION, GETTYSBURG

$139.50

Quantity Available: 1

Item Code: R21498

Shipping: Determined by Method & Location of buyer

To Order:
Call 717-334-0347,
Fax 717-334-5016, or E-mail

Relic has heavy surface rust and pitting. Fragment measures approximately 7 ½ inches long.

This item was originally part of the Jennie Wade Museum which was a collection of Gettysburg battlefield and battle related relics housed in the small brick house on East Cemetery Hill where Gettysburg civilian Jennie Wade was killed on July 3, 1863.

The house came into the possession of J.A. Kitzmiller in 1866; ownership passed to his daughters, Mrs. Harold Mumper and Mrs. Robert C. Miller.  Robert C. Miller, former postmaster, newspaper printer, and state superintendent of printing and binding, conceived of the idea of creating a public museum in the Jennie Wade House, which opened in 1901 under his personal management. Miller eventually passed active management to J.T. Mumper. By the time Miller died in May 1930, management duties had been passed to former Gettysburg Mayor William G. Weaver, who was Miller’s son-in-law. In the 1950’s the building and collection were sold by the Kitzmiller heirs to local businessman L. E. Smith who, along with Hollywood actor Cliff Arquette, ran a company called Gettysburg Tours, Inc.

Arquette, better known by his stage name of Charlie Weaver, opened a museum on the Baltimore Pike that housed his collection of war related artifacts as well as carved wood Civil War soldiers made by Arquette himself. The museum opened in March of 1959 as “CLIFF ARQUETTE’S SOLDIERS MUSEUM.” By the 1960’s Arquette changed the name of the business to “CHARLIE WEAVER’S AMERICAN MUSEUM OF THE CIVIL WAR.” Arquette sold his museum and collection to L. E. Smith who in the 1970’s changed the name to “THE SOLDIER’S NATIONAL MUSEUM.” Smith revamped the Jennie Wade Museum and moved a majority of the artifacts in it to The Soldier’s National Museum. It was at this time that the artifact offered here began its connection with the Soldier’s National Museum where it remained until that repository’s closure in 2014.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS,

CLICK ON ‘CONTACT US’ AT THE TOP OF ANY PAGE ON THE SITE,

THEN ON ‘LAYAWAY POLICY’.

Inquire »

Inquire About US OR CS 3 INCH PARROTT OR READ SHELL FRAGMENT FROM THE JENNIE WADE MUSEUM COLLECTION, GETTYSBURG

should be empty

featured item

MODEL 1841 NAVAL OFFICER’S SWORD BY AMES

Manufactured: Springfield Mass  Maker: N. P. Ames Cutler  Year: 1841-1050  Model: M 1841 Naval Officer Sword   Size: 28.25  Condition: VG Eagle head brass guard is in great shape with both folding guards in working order.  Carved ivory grip… (870-62). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

22
Jan

Coming up Jan. 27 - 28: Gettysburg Gun Show at the Allstar Events Complex at the Eisenhower Inn Learn More »