US/CS 4.52” 12 POUNDER SPHERICAL CASE-SHOT SHELL FROM THE ROSENSTEEL FAMILY COLLECTION

$550.00 SOLD

Quantity Available: None

Item Code: R22580

Item was part of the collections of the Little Round Top Museum and the Electric Map, National Park Service Visitor Center/Museum.  Visible on the inside are the black matrix and lead case shot balls. Heavy pitting on entire surface.  Sold by Redding Auction in the May 9 – 10, 2008 sale.

Family history holds that George D. Rosensteel, a long time relic collector, established a Civil War museum in Gettysburg in 1921. He subsequently added the fine relic collection of John H. Rosensteel to the museum. John Rosensteel, George's uncle, lived through the three days of fighting and began gathering war artifacts from the Gettysburg battlefield once the armies left the scene.

The Round Top Museum was a Gettysburg Battlefield visitor attraction established by John H. Rosensteel in 1888 on the north foot of Little Round Top near the Round Top Station and northeast of the Wheatfield Road and Grand Central Avenue (now Sedgwick Av) intersection. The museum of Battle of Gettysburg artifacts was in Rosensteel's 1884 frame home and served as the "Round Top Inn" restaurant/small hotel. On the east side of the residence, construction began in March 1902 for a "dancing pavilion" lit with acetylene lamps that opened on May 25, 1902. A 1906 hop was held at the "Little Round Top Hotel", the "Round Top dance pavilion" was the site of a 1918 fire] and a 1925 stabbing, and picnics at Rosensteel Park were held as late as 1957.

The Round Top Museum and the 1921 Rosensteel electric map museum on Cemetery Ridge were owned by the Gettysburg National Museum corporation until 1964. When the Rosensteel family sold the Ziegler's Grove property to the U.S. government, the family also donated the museum's relic collection to the National Park Service's Gettysburg Battlefield.  The Round Top Museum became part of the Gettysburg National Military Park in 1971 which used the building as an environmental resource center until it was demolished c. 1982.  Lawrence Eckert, who in 1941 married George Rosensteel's daughter, Angela, and began working at his father-in-law's National Museum, was retained by the NPS and became curator of the huge relic collection at Gettysburg. During the same period, the Eckerts' began assembling their own personal Gettysburg collection. [ws]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS,

CLICK ON ‘CONTACT US’ AT THE TOP OF ANY PAGE ON THE SITE,

THEN ON ‘LAYAWAY POLICY’.

THANK YOU!

Inquire About US/CS 4.52” 12 POUNDER SPHERICAL CASE-SHOT SHELL FROM THE ROSENSTEEL FAMILY COLLECTION

should be empty

featured item

RARE TIFFANY & CO. HIGH GRADE MODEL 1860 NAVAL OFFICER’S CUTLASS

Manufactured: New York;  Maker: Tiffany & Co / PDL;  Year: Civil War;  Model: M 1860 Naval Officer Cutlass ; Size: 30.25;  Condition: VG High grade naval officer’s cutlass from Tiffany & Co New York.  It was debated by collectors that… (870-08). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

15
Oct

Coming up Oct. 27-28: Autumn Gettysburg Show, Allstar Events Complex at the Eisenhower Inn Learn More »