Quantity Available: None
Item Code: 422-67
This Civil War era Tipton & Myers image is in overall good condition with just light scattered soiling and wear to edges of the mount. The pair of images have yellowed with age; there is one light circular stain on the image at left.
Label attached to the reverse reads, “TIPTON & MYERS’ STEROSCOPIC VIEWS. No. 589. Battle-field of Gettysburg-Katalysine Springs Hotel, showing a portion of the first day’s fighting ground. PUBLISHED BY TIPTON & MYERS (Successors to C. J. Tyson,)-Excelsior Galleries, Gettysburg, Pa.”
Also known as the Gettysburg Springs Hotel, this building located just west of Gettysburg near Willoughby Run, was in existence from 1869 until it burned on December 17, 1917. With elegant accommodations, the spa-resort attracted clients from near and far, especially from cities east and south. It was asserted by some that the nearby spring had "curative" qualities. In 1868, the Gettysburg Lithia Springs Association began bottling and selling the "medicinal waters." The resort thrived in the 1870s and 1880s, but by 1901 it declared bankruptcy. The land was later part of the Gettysburg Country Club, which was in existence from 1948 – 2008, but as of March 25, 2011, is now owned by the National Park Service.
THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,
MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.
FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS,
CLICK ON ‘CONTACT US’ AT THE TOP OF ANY PAGE ON THE SITE,
THEN ON ‘LAYAWAY POLICY’.