Quantity Available: 1
Item Code: 601-198
Recovered from Corinth, MS, Battlefield. Sold to L.V. Franklin, then to noted collector Bill Gavin in 1952. [See Gavin's Accoutrement Plates/ North and South, p. 89, pl. 51] Only two known to exist. Oval plate is crudely made, and its face exhibits traces of verdigris around the letters; hooks are solid but rusty; oxidized lead backing displays one tiny hole near loop. Else VG. From the Gavin collection, an incredible piece for serious CS plate collectors.
This item is from the collection of the late William G. "Bill" Gavin (1924 - 2010) was one of the nation's most prominent and esteemed Civil War relic collectors. Following graduation from West Point [Class of 1946], Gavin became a pioneer in applying WWII mine-detector technology to relic hunting. Along the way, he became an avid historian whose collection, with its origins dating back to the 1930's, was enhanced by his acute knowledge of battlefield troop movements. His service to his country included six years in the U.S. Army, followed by a seven year period in which he was a member of the U.S. Army (Ready) Reserve.
Mr. Gavin shared his Civil War knowledge via the publication of four books and several magazine articles. In 1963 he authored one of the earliest books on relic buckles (Accoutrement Plates North and South, 1861-65), and in the 1970s established the Rectory Museum in Harper's Ferry, while becoming owner of The Cliffside Inn. He was also the owner of Happy Retreat, the 18th century home of Charles Washington, youngest brother of George Washington, located in Charles Town, WV. The Horse Soldier joins the national Civil War community in mourning Bill Gavin’s passing, and is proud to be able to offer items from his exceptional collection.