Quantity Available: 1
Item Code: 601-256
Shipping: Determined by Method & Location of buyer
Fax 717-334-5016, or E-mail
Belt plate recovered at in August, 1964 at Fussell’s Mill, VA. Arrow hooks and the tongue present on reverse. Face has a soiled light brown patina. Shows discoloration caused by ground action. Has a slight bend. 90% of the lead remains. Label on the back is “FUSSELL’S MILL, VA AUG 64”.
This item is from the collection of, and was dug by, the late William G. "Bill" Gavin (1924 - 2010), who was one of the nation's most prominent and esteemed Civil War relic collectors. Following graduation from West Point [Class of 1946], Gavin became a pioneer in applying WWII mine-detector technology to relic hunting. Along the way, he became an avid historian whose collection, with its origins dating back to the 1930's, was enhanced by his acute knowledge of battlefield troop movements. His service to his country included six years in the U.S. Army, followed by a seven year period in which he was a member of the U.S. Army (Ready) Reserve. Mr. Gavin shared his Civil War knowledge via the publication of four books and several magazine articles. In 1963 he authored one of the earliest books on relic buckles (Accoutrement Plates North and South, 1861-65), and in the 1970s established the Rectory Museum in Harper's Ferry, while becoming owner of The Cliffside Inn. He was also the owner of Happy Retreat, the 18th century home of Charles Washington, youngest brother of George Washington, located in Charles Town, WV. The Horse Soldier joins the national Civil War community in mourning Bill Gavin's passing, and is proud to be able to offer items from his exceptional collection.
THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,
MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.
FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS,
CLICK ON ‘CONTACT US’ AT THE TOP OF ANY PAGE ON THE SITE,
THEN ON ‘LAYAWAY POLICY’.