GAR MEMBERSHIP BADGE FROM THE MOLLUS MUSEUM

$125.00 ON HOLD

Quantity Available: 1

Item Code: 1052-30

This is one of several G.A.R. badges we recently acquired from the War Library and Museum of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the U.S. (MOLLUS,) the veterans’ organization composed of former Union officers. This form of G.A.R. badge, with several changes over the years, was introduced in 1869. This one is the Type-V, adopted in 1886, showing a cooking pot over a campfire on the reverse of the eagle pin and additional corps badges on the lower three points of the star on the reverse.  The ribbon is the 1887 pattern using a colored border with red to mark an officer serving at the department (state) level. In this case the rank bar is positioned to indicate a past office, the silver leaf indicating an assistant inspector general or aide-de-camp to a department commander.

The eagle at top is posed to defend the flag. The medal obverse shows the goddess Minerva, associated with justice, wisdom, and victory, stands over a soldier and sailor clasping hands representing Loyalty and Fraternity, and two children receiving protection, representing Charity, the three cardinal precepts of the organization. Around the vignette the border reads: "GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC" and "1861 VETERANS 1866,” the dates referring to the official start and end dates of the war that qualified veterans for membership. At the corners of the star are branch of service insignia. On the reverse the national shield at center is protected by rings of the insignia of the various army corps in keystones, stars representing the states and departments of the G.A.R. around the edge and sprigs of laurel. Numbered along the edge, “A10685”. Founded in 1866 and dissolved in 1956 with the death of its last member, the organization reached a membership of 410,000 in 1890 and was a national political force with a natural interest in veterans’ affairs.

This comes from the recently dispersed collections of the War Library and Museum in Philadelphia. Incorporated in 1888 by the Military Order of the Loyal Legion, the veterans’ organization for Union officers, the museum was the repository for a world-class collection of artifacts housed since 1922 in a Philadelphia townhouse. The museum closed in 2008. Many of their holdings made their way to other institutions, but we recently purchased a number pieces from them at auction. The condition is good, ribbon showing some slight fading and little edge damage on the reverse, but with the eagle and star showing a nice patina.  [sr]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS,

CLICK ON ‘CONTACT US’ AT THE TOP OF ANY PAGE ON THE SITE,

THEN ON ‘LAYAWAY POLICY’.

THANK YOU!

Inquire About GAR MEMBERSHIP BADGE FROM THE MOLLUS MUSEUM

should be empty

featured item

HISTORICAL FIREARMS STOLEN FROM THE NATIONAL CIVIL WAR MUSEUM IN HARRISBURG, PA

Please click on the photograph above to view a flyer containing information regarding a Model 1860 Henry Rifle and pair of cased presentation Colt Revolvers identified to Secretary of War Simon Cameron which were stolen from the museum on February… . Learn More »

Upcoming Events

04
Mar