RELIC LANCE TIP FROM 6TH PA (RUSH’S LANCERS) CAVALRY

$495.00 SOLD

Quantity Available: None

Item Code: 545-18

This item is an excavated lance tip. Iron, three-sided blade coming to a point. The remnants of the brass collar that attached the tip to the shaft is on the lower end. Iron is rusted and has been heavily coated. Piece measures approximately 9” long.

Recovered near Culpeper, VA.

The regiment was raised during August and September 1861 from Philadelphia, Montgomery and Berks counties by Richard H. Rush. At the suggestion of Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, the men were armed with Austrian lances. The regiment was transferred to Washington, D.C. and assigned to the Cavalry Division of the Army of the Potomac. In the May 1863, the regiment was assigned to the Reserve Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division.

During the Battle of Brandy Station (near Culpeper) in June 1863, the regiment unsuccessfully charged the guns at St. James Church, suffering the greatest casualties of any regiment in the battle. Several Confederates later described the 6th's charge as the most "brilliant and glorious" cavalry charge of the war. [jet] [ph:m]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS.

THANK YOU!

Inquire About RELIC LANCE TIP FROM 6TH PA (RUSH’S LANCERS) CAVALRY

should be empty

featured item

MODEL 1841 NAVAL OFFICER’S SWORD IDENTIFIED TO SIMON BACKUS BISSELL

Simon Backus Bissell was born in Fairlee, Vt., on October 28, 1808. He was appointed Midshipman on November 6, 1824, Passed Midshipman on June 4 1831, and Lieutenant December 9, 1837. At the beginning of the Mexican-American War, he was assigned to… (870-63). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

03
Aug

Updated show schedule! Learn More »

Instagram