CS 3.67 INCH 6 LB. SPHERICAL SHELL RECOVERED ON CULPS HILL AND CONVERTED INTO AN OIL LAMP, FROM THE DANNER MUSEUM COLLECTION

$4,950.00 SOLD

Quantity Available: None

Item Code: 1078-01

Among the most prized Civil War collectables are the artillery shells from the famed Danner Museum, which was located on Baltimore Street in Gettysburg.  This example is a Confederate 6-pound (3.67 inch) spherical shell, likely fired by Lantham’s North Carolina “Branch Artillery” Battery.  Faint, but legible, is the gold painted inscription “Gettysburg July 1, 2, 3 1863” and “Culp’s Hill.”  Both the “Gettysburg” and “Culp’s Hill” inscriptions are done in scroll patterns.

Joel Danner’s museum and store opened in 1865, where he displayed and sold battlefield artifacts, some of the artillery projectiles he modified into lamps.  He also published and sold a Gettysburg Battlefield guide book and map.  Many Civil War collectors are familiar with the famous Danner cabinet card showing the rows of artillery projectiles, weapons and drum recovered from the Gettysburg Battlefield.

Captain Alexander Latham’s “Branch Artillery” battery supported General John Bell Hood’s Division of General James Longstreet’s Corps.  Their battlefield plaque, at the south end of the field, reports that their sole six pound M1841 bronze gun was disabled on July 2nd, 1863.  According to historian Bert Barnett, this was the only six pound gun serving in the Army of Northern Virginia.  No six pound gun is listed in the Union artillery order of battle.  Six pound guns were rarely fielded in the eastern armies by 1863.  In Barnett’s article “The Severest and Bloodiest Artillery Fight I Ever Saw”, General Robert E. Lee wrote a recommendation to the Confederate Government in December 1862 that the lighter, bronze guns be melted down and the bronze used to cast twelve pound Napoleon guns at Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond.

This shell has a dark and smooth patina, with no rust evident.  Hemisphere casting seams are visible and smooth.  The lamp modification includes a 2 ½ inch long threaded brass fixture that has been repaired at the base.  The stem includes a reproduction wick below the threaded cap, which fits into the center of the shell, a vessel for lamp oil.  The shell has a tripod base which is well-constructed and allows the shell to sit level on a flat surface.

Gettysburg recovered Danner artillery are highly coveted Civil War artifacts and this example is a superb addition to a Gettysburg collection!  [JC]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS,

CLICK ON ‘CONTACT US’ AT THE TOP OF ANY PAGE ON THE SITE,

THEN ON ‘LAYAWAY POLICY’.

Inquire About CS 3.67 INCH 6 LB. SPHERICAL SHELL RECOVERED ON CULPS HILL AND CONVERTED INTO AN OIL LAMP, FROM THE DANNER MUSEUM COLLECTION

should be empty

featured item

AMES MODEL 1840 GENERAL OFFICER’S SWORD PRESENTED TO JAMES W. PRESTON BY THE CHATHAM ARTILLERY OF SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

This beautiful sword was presented by the Chatham Artillery as a prize for gunnery in 1848. The organization is an old and illustrious militia organization of Savannah, claiming descent from earlier units, including a company of artillery organized… (870-99). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

03
Aug

Updated show schedule! Learn More »

Instagram