1890s SHOE BOX FROM BALTIMORE STORE

$85.00

Quantity Available: 1

Item Code: 2021-175

Shipping: Determined by Method & Location of buyer

To Order:
Call 717-334-0347,
Fax 717-334-5016, or E-mail

The item pictured here is a unique empty shoe box from a local manufacture in Baltimore, Maryland.  The company was housed originally on Eutaw Street, Baltimore and run by George Franke, who immigrated here from Germany in 1865. The company was family owned and operated well into the 1950s and 60s. In the late 1800s the company primarily produced paper boxes for lingerie, men’s shirts, silks, shoes, and slippers. Carrying this legacy of box production, George’s grandson, Edward Franke, also produced Christmas decorations.  Under Edward, in the early 1900s into the 60s, the company was most famous for German glass ornaments and hand-crafted bell ornament production at their location on Hanover Street, Baltimore.

The box measures 17” long, 8 7/8” tall, and 11 ½” wide. On the front there is an image of a lady’s shoe from the 1880s. Inside the lid is a manufacture stamp that reads “FROM GEORGE FRANKE, / MANUFACTURER OF/ PLAIN AND FANCY/ PAPER BOXES, CHRISTMAS-TREE GOODS, &c / FANCY PAPER, BORDERS, PICTURE ORNAMENTS, &c, &c./ BAND & HAT BOXES ALWAYS ON HAND.  STORE BOXES A SPECIALTY/ NO. 31 HANOVER STREET/ BALTIMORE.”  There are also various hand written calculations in pencil on the inside of the lid. The box has minor signs of ink discoloration and paper peeling.

This is definitely an interesting piece of local history for anyone interested in material culture from the turn of the 20th century. [mk] [ph:L]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS,

CLICK ON ‘CONTACT US’ AT THE TOP OF ANY PAGE ON THE SITE,

THEN ON ‘LAYAWAY POLICY’.

THANK YOU!

Inquire »

Inquire About 1890s SHOE BOX FROM BALTIMORE STORE

should be empty

featured item

PRESENTATION 1850 STAFF AND FIELD SWORD OF CAPT. JOHN W. GREGG, ADC TO GEN. JOHN MCARTHUR, POW SHILOH, MENTIONED IN OR'S FOR NASHVILLE

John W. Gregg was Aide-de-Camp to General McArthur when the latter launched a devasting attack on the left flank of Hood’s line in front of Nashville on December 16, 1864, destroying half of Hood’s army and all that was left of his military… (870-395). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

15
Jun

Updated show schedule! Learn More »

Instagram