STEREO CARD VIEW OF THE MONITOR USS CASCO IN THE JAMES RIVER

$75.00

Quantity Available: 1

Item Code: 490-2378

Shipping: Determined by Method & Location of buyer

To Order:
Call 717-334-0347,
Fax 717-334-5016, or E-mail

Stereo card has a yellow mount and is titled on the edges “PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY” and “THE WAR FOR THE UNION.”

Reverse has a blue label with a printed caption that reads “WAR VIEWS” and “MONITOR “CASCO, JAMES RIVER, VA. NEAR DUTCH GAP NO. 2692.”

Image is a full-length view of the ship from above and off to one side. The camera must have been situated on a bluff by the James River.

View is clear with excellent contrast.

USS CASCO was the first of a class of twenty 1,175-ton light-draft monitors built by Atlantic Works, Boston, Massachusetts for the Union Navy. She was armed with one11-inch Dalhgren smooth-bore gun and one spar torpedo.

After completion of additional yard work, CASCO was towed to Hampton Roads in March 1865. She assisted in the removal of mines in the James River which made possible the advance of naval forces to Richmond, VA. In mid-April she was transferred to the Potomac Flotilla, with whom she served until the end of May. CASCO was decommissioned 10 June 1865 at Washington Navy Yard. In the widespread ship-renamings that took place in June 1869, CASCO was given the new name HERO. She saw no further active service, and she was broken up in April 1875.  [ad]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS,

CLICK ON ‘CONTACT US’ AT THE TOP OF ANY PAGE ON THE SITE,

THEN ON ‘LAYAWAY POLICY’.

THANK YOU!

Inquire »

Inquire About STEREO CARD VIEW OF THE MONITOR USS CASCO IN THE JAMES RIVER

should be empty

featured item

CIVIL WAR EAGLE POMMEL PRESENTATION SWORD BY PATIENTS AT MOWER GENERAL HOSPITAL TO DR. J.A.C. HANLY, MARCH 20th, 1863

Mower General Hospital, first known as Chestnut Hill Hospital, was one of the largest U.S. General Hospitals. Planned and built in 1862, it opened in early 1863 and could hold 3600 patients. Covering 27 acres the complex included 47 wards and other… (870-613). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

04
Dec
Instagram