COPPER SABOT FROM 3” MULLANE SHELL FROM GETTYSBURG

$300.00

Quantity Available: 1

Item Code: 224-514

Shipping: Determined by Method & Location of buyer

To Order:
Call 717-334-0347,
Fax 717-334-5016, or E-mail

Found in Gettysburg after the battle. From the Soldier’s National Museum auction of 2014.

Copper sabot stripped from a Confederate 3” Mullane artillery shell. The sabot is a round disk with a central hole and three additional holes around the parameter. This is in fired, relic condition being slightly bent and other minor damage visible. Nice even patina with light coat of dirt.

This relic was once part of the well-known Civil War artifact collection of the Soldier’s National Museum/Charlie Weaver Museum from c.1971 to 2014. Before that it resided in the Jennie Wade Museum, started in 1901 by Robert C. Miller.  The museum was a collection of Gettysburg battlefield and battle related relics housed in the small brick house on East Cemetery Hill where Gettysburg civilian Jennie Wade was killed on July 3, 1863. Comes with auction tag.

The house came into the possession of J.A. Kitzmiller in 1866; ownership passed to his daughters, Mrs. Harold Mumper and Mrs. Robert C. Miller.  Robert C. Miller, former postmaster, newspaper printer, and state superintendent of printing and binding, conceived of the idea of creating a public museum in the Jennie Wade House, which opened in 1901 under his personal management. Miller eventually passed active management to J.T. Mumper. By the time Miller died in May 1930, management duties had been passed to former Gettysburg Mayor William G. Weaver, who was Miller’s son-in-law. In the 1950’s the building and collection were sold by the Kitzmiller heirs to local businessman L. E. Smith who, along with Hollywood actor Cliff Arquette, ran a company called Gettysburg Tours, Inc.

Arquette, better known by his stage name of Charlie Weaver, opened a museum on the Baltimore Pike that housed his collection of war related artifacts as well as carved wood Civil War soldiers made by Arquette himself. The museum opened in March of 1959 as “CLIFF ARQUETTE’S SOLDIERS MUSEUM.” By the 1960’s Arquette changed the name of the business to “CHARLIE WEAVER’S AMERICAN MUSEUM OF THE CIVIL WAR.” Arquette sold his museum and collection to L. E. Smith who in the 1970’s changed the name to “THE SOLDIER’S NATIONAL MUSEUM.” Smith revamped the Jennie Wade Museum and moved a majority of the artifacts in it to The Soldier’s National Museum. It was at this time that the artifact offered here began its connection with the Soldier’s National Museum where it remained until that repository’s closure in 2014.  [jet] [ph:L]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS.

THANK YOU!

Inquire »

Inquire About COPPER SABOT FROM 3” MULLANE SHELL FROM GETTYSBURG

should be empty

featured item

CIVIL WAR EAGLE POMMEL PRESENTATION SWORD BY PATIENTS AT MOWER GENERAL HOSPITAL TO DR. J.A.C. HANLY, MARCH 20th, 1863

Mower General Hospital, first known as Chestnut Hill Hospital, was one of the largest U.S. General Hospitals. Planned and built in 1862, it opened in early 1863 and could hold 3600 patients. Covering 27 acres the complex included 47 wards and other… (870-613). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

21
May

June 25-26th: 49TH ANNUAL GETTYSBURG CIVIL WAR COLLECTORS' SHOW Learn More »

Instagram