CABINET CARD PHOTOGRAPH OF U.S.S. ST. MARY’S

$475.00

Quantity Available: 1

Item Code: 1139-314

Shipping: Determined by Method & Location of buyer

To Order:
Call 717-334-0347,
Fax 717-334-5016, or E-mail

Horizontal image of U.S.S. St. Mary’s at anchor. Photo measures 8.5” x 5.25”. Image is clear with good contrast. Photographer’s backmark, W.B. Davidson & Co., Newport, RI.

St. Mary's was built in 1843-44 at the Washington Navy Yard, Washington, D.C., was commissioned in the fall of 1844, Commander John L. Saunders in command.

On station in the Gulf of Mexico, 1844–1846, mostly diplomatic service. Mexican–American War, 1846–1847, St. Mary's anchored off the mouth of the Panuco River to blockade port of Tampico. Later had duty covering troop movements and her long boats carried assault troops to Collado Beach. As part of the Pacific Squadron, 1848–1872, she cruised from the coast of California to the coast of Chile, to the Far East. Through the Civil War, St. Mary's remained with the Pacific Squadron, protecting Union merchant shipping and searching for Confederate raiders. After the war, she cruised the Pacific until September 1866, then put into Mare Island where she was laid up for four years. In the fall of 1870, she returned to active service; and, after a cruise to Australia and New Zealand, she returned to Mare Island, whence in November 1872 she departed for Norfolk. As a School Ship, 1873–1908. She was transferred to the New York Nautical School at New York (now the SUNY Maritime College) she served as a school ship until 1908. In June of that year, she was ordered sold. Despite efforts of alumni to preserve the ship they could not come up with the funding. Two months later, she was purchased by Thomas Butler and Company, Boston, Massachusetts; and in November, she was scrapped. [jet] [ph:L]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS.

THANK YOU!

Inquire »

Inquire About CABINET CARD PHOTOGRAPH OF U.S.S. ST. MARY’S

should be empty

featured item

COIN SILVER DESK BOX MARKED “WM. CALDWELL / LAKE GEORGE”

This coin silver captain’s desk box is beautifully engraved on the lid with the name of the ship, the “William Caldwell”, which was built at the northern end of Lake George in Ticonderoga, New York in the spring of 1838. Box has a hinged and… (30-1983). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

16
May

June 25-26th: 49TH ANNUAL GETTYSBURG CIVIL WAR COLLECTORS' SHOW Learn More »

Instagram