KEPI CROWN FROM FORT PEMBINA, NORTH DAKOTA

$100.00

Quantity Available: 1

Item Code: 1052-430

Shipping: Determined by Method & Location of buyer

To Order:
Call 717-334-0347,
Fax 717-334-5016, or E-mail

This crown from a soldier’s kepi comes from excavations at Fort Pembina, ND, and shows three oval holes and one small slit, with some edge wear and stains. The color has shifted from blue to brown, but one side still shows a bit lighter around the edge where the side panels of the cap would have rolled over and protected it. The excavations were conducted on private property with the owner’s permission, and the soil conditions have preserved both leather and cloth, some in remarkably good condition. The fort was established in 1870 by troops of the 20th US Infantry and garrisoned until 1895 and as would be expected from an early Indian War post, show a mix of Civil War commercial and issue items retained by soldiers, sold by retailers from old inventory, or issued by the army out of surplus stocks, along with later material, both commercial and issue.

Situated in the Red River Valley in North Dakota near the Canadian border, Fort Pembina was established in 1870 and in operation until 1895. Trading posts existed earlier in the area as part of the fur trade, and the first U.S. military post there was temporary- manned by a detachment of Minnesota troops in 1863-1864 following the 1862 Sioux uprising. In March 1870 a new fort was established south of the Pembina River and about 200 yards west of the Red River, completed by July and named in honor of Gen. George H. Thomas. The name was changed to Fort Pembina in September and the initial garrison consisted of two companies of the 20th US Infantry. Their main duty was to provide security for settlers worried about Sioux returning south from Canada, escort boundary surveys along the Canadian border, and, ironically, prevent raids north into Canada by Fenian groups.

The fort included enlistedmen’s barracks, officers’ quarters, guard house, ordnance storehouse, company kitchen, root house, laundress’s quarters, quarters for civilian employees, hospital and hospital servant’s house, a barn for the “hospital cow,” quartermaster and commissary offices and storehouse, stables, wagon shed, etc. The garrison reached peak strength in 1878 of 200, but the average was about 125 enlisted men and 8 officers. An October 1885 return listed 97 men, 2 field pieces, 1 mountain howitzer, 100 rifles, 19 pistols, 23 mules, and 9 wagons. By 1890 the post had just 23 men, and after an 1895 fire destroyed some 19 buildings it was decided to abandon the fort rather than rebuild, the last detachment left in September. The property was turned over to the Interior Department and later sold in 1902.   [sr] [ph:L]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS.

THANK YOU!

Inquire »

Inquire About KEPI CROWN FROM FORT PEMBINA, NORTH DAKOTA

For inquiries, please email us at [email protected]

featured item

GREAT LOT OF ACCOUTREMENTS ID'D TO 11TH MASSACHUSETTS BATTERY SOLDIER

This group of items all came together with two wonderful old handwritten tags testifying to the fact that they all belonged to Private James W. Pierce of the 11th Massachusetts Battery. All the items in this group show uniform wear and age and have… (1179-295). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

22
Apr

May 15 - 19: NSS-A Spring Nationals Learn More »

Instagram