HAIR FROM FORT PEMBINA- DRESS HELMET PLUME?

$10.00 SOLD

Quantity Available: None

Item Code: 1052-641

The wet soil conditions of the dig at Fort Pembina have produced all sorts of things discarded by the garrison that would normally perish: in this case a clump what we think (hope) is horsehair. This is not quite as weird as it sounds since horsehair was used for the plumes on Indian War dress helmets for mounted troops- cavalry and field artillery- and mounted officers, as well as being used as stuffing for upholstered furniture and other things. The color has shifted to a gray and light brown.

Situated in the Red River Valley in North Dakota near the Canadian border, Fort Pembina was established in 1870 and in operation until 1895. Trading posts existed earlier in the area as part of the fur trade, and the first U.S. military post there was temporary- manned by a detachment of Minnesota troops in 1863-1864 following the 1862 Sioux uprising. In March 1870 a new fort was established south of the Pembina River and about 200 yards west of the Red River, completed by July and named in honor of Gen. George H. Thomas. The name was changed to Fort Pembina in September and the initial garrison consisted of two companies of the 20th US Infantry. Their main duty was to provide security for settlers worried about Sioux returning south from Canada, but the troops were more occupied with escorting boundary surveys along the Canadian border and preventing Fenian raids heading north into Canada.

The fort included enlistedmen’s barracks, officers’ quarters, guard house, ordnance storehouse, company kitchen, root house, laundress’s quarters, quarters for civilian employees, hospital and hospital servant’s house, a barn for the “hospital cow,” quartermaster and commissary offices and storehouse, stables, wagon shed, etc. The garrison reached peak strength in 1878 af 200, but the average was about 125 enlisted men and 8 officers. An October 1885 return listed 97 men, 2 field pieces, 1 mountain howitzer, 100 rifles, 19 pistols, 23 mules, and 9 wagons. By 1890 the post had just 23 men, and after an 1895 fire destroyed some 19 buildings it was decided to abandon the fort rather than rebuild, the last detachment left in September. The property was turned over to the Interior Department and later sold in 1902.     [sr][ph:L]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS.

THANK YOU!

Inquire About HAIR FROM FORT PEMBINA- DRESS HELMET PLUME?

For inquiries, please email us at [email protected]

featured item

“REMEMBER THE MAINE!” U.S.S. MAINE DECORATED “GOING ASHORE” NAVY FLAT CAP

There was a long tradition in the U.S. Navy of the men decorating their uniforms with colorful embroidery, both to occupy idle hours on shipboard and in hopes of attracting some attention when on shore. The designs might be concealable and not be… (1219-44). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

25
May

June 29-30: 51st Annual Gettysburg Civil War Relic Show Learn More »

Instagram