IRON POT OR KETTLE LID FROM FORT PEMBINA

$15.00

Quantity Available: 1

Item Code: 1052-640

Shipping: Determined by Method & Location of buyer

To Order:
Call 717-334-0347,
Fax 717-334-5016, or E-mail

Excavations at Fort Pembina yielded a number of kitchen items- some likely from the company kitchen and others from officers’ quarters. These are perhaps not very exciting finds, but they reflect daily life at a remote army post on the frontier. This is a simple iron lid for a pot or kettle. It is corroded as shown, but with no holes or cracks and the rim is still well defined. There is no handle on it, likely the reason it was discarded.

Situated in the Red River Valley in North Dakota near the Canadian border, Fort Pembina was established in 1870 and in operation until 1895. Trading posts existed earlier in the area as part of the fur trade, and the first U.S. military post there was temporary- manned by a detachment of Minnesota troops in 1863-1864 following the 1862 Sioux uprising. In March 1870 a new fort was established south of the Pembina River and about 200 yards west of the Red River, completed by July and named in honor of Gen. George H. Thomas. The name was changed to Fort Pembina in September and the initial garrison consisted of two companies of the 20th US Infantry. Their main duty was to provide security for settlers worried about Sioux returning south from Canada, but the troops were more occupied with escorting boundary surveys along the Canadian border and preventing Fenian raids heading north into Canada.

The fort included enlistedmen’s barracks, officers’ quarters, guard house, ordnance storehouse, company kitchen, root house, laundress’s quarters, quarters for civilian employees, hospital and hospital servant’s house, a barn for the “hospital cow,” quartermaster and commissary offices and storehouse, stables, wagon shed, etc. The garrison reached peak strength in 1878 af 200, but the average was about 125 enlisted men and 8 officers. An October 1885 return listed 97 men, 2 field pieces, 1 mountain howitzer, 100 rifles, 19 pistols, 23 mules, and 9 wagons. By 1890 the post had just 23 men, and after an 1895 fire destroyed some 19 buildings it was decided to abandon the fort rather than rebuild, the last detachment left in September. The property was turned over to the Interior Department and later sold in 1902.    [sr][ph:L]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS.

THANK YOU!

Inquire »

Inquire About IRON POT OR KETTLE LID FROM FORT PEMBINA

For inquiries, please email us at [email protected]

featured item

ARMED CONFEDERATE LIEUTENANT COLONEL

This uncased eighth-plate tintype is a very clear studio view of a Confederate lieutenant colonel wear frock coat, narrow brim hat, gauntlets and tall boots. He has tilted his hat slightly to one side and wears a sort of tight-lipped smile. His… (1138-2029). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

25
May

June 29-30: 51st Annual Gettysburg Civil War Relic Show Learn More »

Instagram