REVOLUTIONARY WAR IRON CANISTER BALL FROM MARY ANN FURNACE, HANOVER, PA

$20.00 SOLD

Quantity Available: None

Item Code: 1235-73

Offered here is a small iron canister ball. Measures approximately 0.91” in diameter. In rusty, but stable excavated condition. Recovered from Mary Ann Furnace south of Hanover, PA.

Built in 1762, Mary Ann Furnace is believed to be the first charcoal furnace built on the western side of the Susquehanna River. The furnace supplied cannon balls and grapeshot for the Continental Army and employed Hessian prisoners to run the ironworks while many of the available workforce were off fighting the British.

Built by George Ross & Company in 1762, the company was comprised of Ross (a signer of the Declaration of Independence), George Stevenson, and William Thompson. Mary Ann Furnace was located in southwestern York County on Codorus Creek about three miles south of Hanover in West Manheim Township. “Maryan” Furnace is shown on Samuel Potts’ 1789 list as closed.  [jet] [PH:L]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS.

THANK YOU!

Inquire About REVOLUTIONARY WAR IRON CANISTER BALL FROM MARY ANN FURNACE, HANOVER, PA

For inquiries, please email us at [email protected]

featured item

CIVIL WAR COMMERCIAL FORAGE CAP WITH MAINE BUTTONS AND ASSOCIATED INSIGNIA

Commercial caps were simply those purchased privately rather the issued by the government. They might more or less closely follow contract patterns with the purchaser able to suit his taste and wallet, though an enlisted man, seeking something nicer… (1052-139). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

22
Apr

May 15 - 19: NSS-A Spring Nationals Learn More »

Instagram