KEPI CROWN FROM FORT PEMBINA, NORTH DAKOTA

$100.00 SOLD

Quantity Available: None

Item Code: 1052-434

This crown from a soldier’s kepi shows an L-shaped tear, some slight edge wear and stains, but preserves much of its original blue color. This comes from excavations at Fort Pembina, ND, conducted on private property with the owner’s permission, the anaerobic conditions of the dig have preserved leather and cloth in remarkable condition. The fort was in operation from 1870 to 1895 and as would be expected from an early Indian War post, show a mix of Civil War commercial and issue items retained by soldiers, sold by retailers from old inventory, or issued by the army out of surplus stocks, along with later material, both private purchase and army issue.

Situated in the Red River Valley in North Dakota near the Canadian border, Fort Pembina was established in 1870 and in operation until 1895. Trading posts existed earlier in the area as part of the fur trade, and the first U.S. military post there was temporary- manned by a detachment of Minnesota troops in 1863-1864 following the 1862 Sioux uprising. In March 1870 a new fort was established south of the Pembina River and about 200 yards west of the Red River, completed by July and named in honor of Gen. George H. Thomas. The name was changed to Fort Pembina in September and the initial garrison consisted of two companies of the 20th US Infantry. Their main duty was to provide security for settlers worried about Sioux returning south from Canada, escort boundary surveys along the Canadian border, and, ironically, prevent raids north into Canada by Fenian groups.

The fort included enlistedmen’s barracks, officers’ quarters, guard house, ordnance storehouse, company kitchen, root house, laundress’s quarters, quarters for civilian employees, hospital and hospital servant’s house, a barn for the “hospital cow,” quartermaster and commissary offices and storehouse, stables, wagon shed, etc. The garrison reached peak strength in 1878 of 200, but the average was about 125 enlisted men and 8 officers. An October 1885 return listed 97 men, 2 field pieces, 1 mountain howitzer, 100 rifles, 19 pistols, 23 mules, and 9 wagons. By 1890 the post had just 23 men, and after an 1895 fire destroyed some 19 buildings it was decided to abandon the fort rather than rebuild, the last detachment left in September. The property was turned over to the Interior Department and later sold in 1902.   [sr] [ph:L]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS ITEM, AS WITH ALL OTHER ITEMS AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE,

MAY BE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR LAYAWAY PROGRAM.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR POLICIES AND TERMS.

THANK YOU!

Inquire About KEPI CROWN FROM FORT PEMBINA, NORTH DAKOTA

For inquiries, please email us at [email protected]

featured item

TWO PEN AND INK DRAWINGS BY ALFRED WAUD / HORATIO WAIT OF BLOCKADING SCENES OFF MOBILE 1863

Working as a special artist for Harpers Weekly from late 1861 through 1865, Alfred R. Waud (1828-1891) is one of the best-known Civil War artists. In postwar years he was connected with Century Magazine, which published numerous accounts of the Civil… (557-12). Learn More »

Upcoming Events

25
Apr

May 15 - 19: NSS-A Spring Nationals Learn More »

Instagram